Advent 5302 Wireless Issues

andyrvtr 20:05 10 Dec 2013

Hi all, I'm looking for some help to get my laptop connected via wireless. I am connected by cable as I type this so I know I don't have any issues with my router. My laptop has a Realtek rtl8187b WLAN card installed and is updated, but it will not connect wirelessly?? It also has an autocut off, whereby the wireless needs to be re-started every time the laptop is turned on (designed like this) by using the fn & F10 buttons on keyboard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:19 10 Dec 2013

Check device manager for exclamation mark against wireless card driver.

Do you get a symbol or light when wireless card switched on?

Op system?

Network settings - does it detect any wireless connections?

Can you see your connection ? if so have you entered the routers passkey?

is wireless enabled in your router?

andyrvtr 07:29 11 Dec 2013

Nothing detected in DM. No light on wireless symbol Vista Detects no wireless networks Unable to see connection Wireless works fine on all other laptops in the home?

onthelimit1 09:10 11 Dec 2013

Make and model of laptop? Has the wireless ever worked?

andyrvtr 17:09 11 Dec 2013

Hi here, clue is in the title... ;-) Advent 5302! I've only had the laptop a week so I don't know if it's ever worked, I bought it 2nd hand. I've bought a wireless USB dongle today and it works fine with that, but it will notwork off the internal card? I've also just realised that the fn button does not seem to work, nor does the letter 't' button, I just have to copy and paste it :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:43 11 Dec 2013

Press Fn + F10 together to switch on the wireless card wireless symbol should appear in taskbar bottom right hand corner.

There may also be a wireless switch bottom left of the laptop

Some info here

andyrvtr 19:27 11 Dec 2013

Hi again, as I said, it seems the fn button does not function as none of the other things work, f5 f6 f7 etc.. Even though I am now wireless with the dongle, the wireless 'light' is not illuminated?? No switch anywhere on the laptop either!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:47 11 Dec 2013

Is number lock on?

onthelimit1 08:35 12 Dec 2013

If Fn and those other keys don't work, I'd suspect the keyboard has had some liquid on it at some time. Might be worth spending £15 to try this replacement

andyrvtr 09:07 12 Dec 2013

thanks, I happen to have a spare keyboard so i'll try that later today..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)