Advanced System Care: opinions?

Florio 13:37 15 Mar 2009

Does anyone else out there use the free version of Advanced System Care? If so, do you think it really does what it purports to do?
I am wondering because, just as an experiment, this morning I ran the program twice within a few minutes, and the second run picked still picked up numerous registry errors and privacy sweep errors.
Florio

Belatucadrus 13:53 15 Mar 2009

Advanced system care free is a reasonable freebie that helps in general PC maintenance. Unfortunately Iobit have always been a bit OTT in the nature of their claims for its efficacy and a quick look seems to indicate they're getting worse.
"The Best System Utility in PC History"
"Dramatically improves both system and Internet performance up to 400%."
Does it do what it purports to do ? Not really but ignore the florid prose and under the spin you'll find a reasonable little product that is well worth a go.

Graphicool1 13:56 15 Mar 2009

Yes I use it on occasion. But like all these kind of programmes. You must be careful, don't offer youself up as a lamb for the slaughter. Before performing any such functions always make sure you first create a 'System Restore' be safe, not sorry.

If you are unsure if this software is safe to use. For peace of mind, download this...'CCleaner' click here Like they say 250 million people can't be wrong!

cocteau48 13:58 15 Mar 2009

What is a registry error?
Assuming that you install an OS on a pristine machine and do nothing else then you may say that the registry is error free. As soon as you open or run another program it will alter the registry in some way and many a registry cleaner/optimizer is so designed to pick up on every little alteration to the registry and flag it as an error - it makes the program look good and in the worst cases may induce you to part with your hard earned and buy the program.
Having said that ASC is much used on this forum and is not a bad program to help to tidy things up.
You may find that with the free version you will get a pop-up after a while telling you that it has found hundreds of registry errors and that it will only rectify them if you buy the Pro version.
....Just another example of the scenario as outlined above.

User-1229748 14:10 15 Mar 2009

if you aren't having any problems with your pc then i wouldn't bother with such software.if you do however,still want a reg cleaner,then as is mentioned above i would use ccleaner :o)

sunnystaines 14:39 15 Mar 2009

if you run the program and ignore the figures it produces you should be ok, I have ran it for a while and like it. But its claims are a bit ott.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017