Advanced power management and refresh rates

alexgray104 18:03 05 Nov 2005

I have just done a complete format of my hard disk and then installed 98,then upgraded to XP Media Centre edition. the trouble is my NEC CRT screen from Packard Bell iConnect flickers and the picture bows in at the bottom. I increased the refresh rates from 60 to 85 hertz,but i'm aftraid to raise them any more incase i break it, when i incresed it did make it better, but my Dell LCD only runs on 60. It is safe to increase to more than 85 hertz and will this make a significant diference?? I cannot remember what the refresh rate was on originally on WinME but it didn't flicker/bow inwards. Also,the computer does not turn itself off like it did in WinME and I heard somewhere that it was to do with Advanced Power Management (?? or something like that!), if it is how do i correct this. Thanks in advance for your much appreciated help.

PaulB2005 18:16 05 Nov 2005

On CRTS set the Refresh Rate to 72 or higher. There should be a box that you can tick so it won't show you any unsupported rates. Make sure it's ticked.

Power Management. Under Control Panel, Power Options, look for APM and make sure it's enabled.

alexgray104 18:25 05 Nov 2005

Cheers for your response PaulB2005,much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone