Advanced Keylogger

seventiesdolly 10:47 08 Feb 2006

0n startup this morning, AOL picked up Advanced Keylogger on the routine scan it does before I log on. AOL automatically blocks it, then gives me the option to delete it , which I did, but how can I be sure it's truly gone, and how can it get on my pc in the first place when I am tooled up to the eyeballs with protection?!

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:18 08 Feb 2006

If you give permission, even inadvertently, to a programme it will install. No matter how much 'protection' (firewalls, AV and Spyware progs) you have, they will not stop it. You have more chance of hitting the Eurolotto than having a keylogger on a home computer and it 'sending' back any info. AOL sometimes picks up ordinary spyware and reports it as a keylogger and it was probably this in your case. Run any one or two of your spyware programmes and scan your PC but I would bet that it is no more.

This is a good example of how important it is to be aware of 'threats' on the net as no amount of protection will stop them. Protection only stops the obvious threats.

G

Yes - AOL picks up the same Keylogger on mine as well and then blocks it. Unfortunately it does not give you the file name in order to delete it. It seems to come up no matter how many times I delete it. Anyone got any ideas how I can find it and delete it - permanently! My search function does not show any Advanced Keylogger files.

VoG II 20:04 12 Feb 2006

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

curlylad 20:05 12 Feb 2006

Run your Anti Virus , even if that can't delete it , it will give you the name of it and we can deal with it from there !

Coff 20:14 12 Feb 2006

It's a false positive click here

seventiesdolly 20:37 12 Feb 2006

I use ewido and it came up with a couple of tracking cookies but nothing else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017