advanced CSS problem

old&nojob 06:53 22 Jul 2006

I am really just getting to grips with CSS.

I have two problems (website link below):

1. I have implemented a CSS pop-up solution from click here. This is where when hovering over a link text appears elswhere on the page.

It works fine in N7, FF1.0.6 & Opera8 except that in IE6 when I hover over the 'class="selected"'
nav link, the text does NOT appear. If I remove that class from the html that link displays
it's text OK (proving it is the class="selected" that's causing the problem).

Any ideas for this problem?

2. Notice that if the page is resized, the left border of the displayed text (on hover) changes. As the parent div for this is the center content and not the body I would have thought this should be fixed (aligning with the left edge of the nav bars) by the 'position: absolute;' statement (last line of CSS shown)!

Any ideas where I've gone wrong here?

The relevant CSS code is contained on the test page. See the source of the actual page for the html.

[email protected]/test/index.html" title="http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/test/index.html" TARGET="_new">click here

WHEN viewing the Ads may change where the hover text is positioned. I hope this does not give you problems as this is the only site I can post on for now. PS It's NOT the horiz nav bar but the left column one!

Thanks.

PurplePenny 11:21 22 Jul 2006

The answer to 1 is that it won't work in IE6 because that doesn't support that function. As you've found it does work in IE7 as it was one of the items on the list of things that developers (like Eric Meyer) gave Chris Wilson (the IE7 dev team leader) to be mended in IE7. Eric does mention on his pages that a lot of his examples don't work in IE6. His wonderful Complex Spiral for instance.

old&nojob 11:35 22 Jul 2006

OK thanks, I can live with it. I have noticed however, that if the position bit is missing it does appear but next to the link text.

HOWEVER, that still leaves the 2nd problem which is not related to the feature but was just wondering if anyone can spot mt error.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone