Advance Window Care etc for new pc?

Bothick 07:08 12 Sep 2007

I have just ordered new pc from Cougar Extreme Computers on XP O/S with E6850 processor,2Gb Ram and 400Gb Hard Drive- but should I or do I need to download programmes like Advanced Window Care, IObit Smart Defrag, Ad-Aware 2007 and Rambooster or am I being too paranoid about performance levels?

birdface 08:02 12 Sep 2007

Advanced Windows Care, The jury is still out on that one,Some like it some don't,10 Bit Smart Defrag is Ok . Ad-Aware there are better free Spyware programs about,I use A Squared but there are loads to choose from,And cannot comment on Rambooster as I have never used it.SpywareBlaster and C Cleaner are a couple of good programs to have on board.Also WinPatrol and McAfee Site Advisor are another two that should be[ In my opinion ] Installed on all computers.

Bothick 08:31 12 Sep 2007

Thanks for that but as a beginner basically
Is there a general all-in-one for performance as I have Bullguard package with Anti-Virus,Firewall and Back-up which I can transfer onto new pc.

birdface 08:49 12 Sep 2007

I have never used Bullguard before,But it gets a good write up from PC Advisor.click here Now I use Winaso Optimizer trial version,It only cleans 10 items at a time and has a reg Defrag included.click here basically if you have the Bulldog Package.The only other programs that you need is A Good Spyware Program,SpywareBlaster,And C Cleaner.As you get a bit more experience with your computer you can add other Security programs on.Others will give you more advice and maybe better programs to use.

birdface 09:18 12 Sep 2007

Winaso.click here

Bothick 11:44 12 Sep 2007

Great! that's really helpful after reading PC Advisor review I'm reasonably confident that the spyware service with the Bullguard package is quite good enough which means I just need C Cleaner. I've just checked that out and through RegCure went to buy the licenced package which stated around £9 or so but when I got to the payment through Paypal it suddenly went up to $47.00 plus taxes is this right

birdface 13:12 12 Sep 2007

C Cleaner is free.If you want to make a donation that is up to the individual.click here When downloading make sure you do not download any extra toolbars just tick what you want it to do.

birdface 13:15 12 Sep 2007

Looks as though you may have got them mixed up.Reg Cure is a Different program entirely.

Bothick 06:49 13 Sep 2007

All sorted- thanks a lot - must admit there are so many products out there it's more than a little confusing!.

dagbladet 14:08 13 Sep 2007

My postings

sunny staines 16:49 13 Sep 2007

good thing about AWC2 is that its database is updated on a very regular basis to keep it up to date, i feel its an excellent free one button check up for the pc.

also use as mentioned already ccleaner, winaso to complete the package.

superantispyware, a2 squared, spybot s&d, all good re spyware the first good at cleaning them off the pc.

run a defrag and chkdsk once a month too

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?