adslmax

Malapoa1 19:39 30 Jul 2008

Has antone any experience of asdlmax? How does one sign yp for it and is it worth it?

MarvintheAndroid 19:48 30 Jul 2008

This is the upgrade which provides all UK users with 8 meg download speeds ha ha. You will tend to find that once your exchange is enabled for MAX, it's all you will get. Most ISPs are reluctant to provide "fixed" speeds once the exchanges are maxed.

In practice it works well if you have good line quality, not so well if you don't - it can tend to connect too fast, resulting in lost packets and less actual bandwidth, sometimes a lot less. You can ask them to cap the speed if you have problems.

To find out if your exchange has been upgraded, visit Samknows and put in your details click here

Marv

Stuartli 20:49 30 Jul 2008

ADSLMax is "up to 8MB" - the actual maximum speed you are likely to receive depends on a number of factors, including your distance from the exchange.

chub_tor 20:52 30 Jul 2008

My experience with ADSL max has been good. I was originally on a 2Mb fixed line and decided to make the change when it became available at our local exchange. I was a bit dubious as we live out in the sticks with overhead lines but I have never had speeds lower than 5Mb and sometimes I do actually get 8Mb, at the moment it is running at 7.6Mb. For me it has been a positive move.

Stuartli 22:01 30 Jul 2008

My understanding is that that is impossible; even 7.6MB is a fine achievement.

chub_tor 10:47 31 Jul 2008

The speed I was referring to (which is what the ISP's refer to in their ADSL advertising) is the Sync Speed not the download speed. Today if I look at my Netgear it is showing a sync speed of 8128Kb, however I know that my download speed (which depends on how much traffic is on the line) will be much lower. At this time of day probably around half of the sync speed, late afternoon and early evening when the gamers are on line it will be lower than that. But by midnight I will download at well over 7Mb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?