ADSL Wireless Routers - USA

Kernal1873 00:28 02 Oct 2005

HI Guys,

Other than the power requirements is there any prohibiting factors in buying a router and cards from the states to use in the UK.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers
K.

Minkey1 09:16 02 Oct 2005

Would this be a router only, or with built in modem ? Not sure if this has any bearing but most telco services in the States are DSL I think, i.e. same speed up as down ?

^wave^ 11:18 02 Oct 2005

from the telephone point i think they are different to ours so you will need an adapter to use it on our system and i am not sure if it will work i know that modems from the usa work

Kernal1873 11:44 02 Oct 2005

Thanks for the replies.

I was planing to include a broadband modem (i.e. the US equivalent of the NETGEAR WGU624), when i have looked at the US sites it does state that their wireless routers are DSL.

On the 2nd point point although the US telephony points are different the Internet/WAN into the router is a standard RJ-45 what i don't know is does that mean its a simple task of switching to a UK phone cable.

Chegs ® 12:40 02 Oct 2005

I bought my 1st ADSL modem from USA(quarter the price of one here)It was no problem setting up to use on our phone system(the driver install was a pig tho')once I'd sourced an AC adaptor for it.WiFi systems are somewhat different tho',different countries use different channels,although I think the cfg for our channel ranges should be possible with a USA item.

Stuartli 13:33 02 Oct 2005

This is a US broadband help website:

click here

Kernal1873 14:42 02 Oct 2005

Thanks guys i have tried that website Stuartli to see if they cab throw more light on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?