ADSL Wireless Router for broadband Cable

Richjack 16:35 18 May 2007

All,

Having recently and successfully sorted out my wireless router problems thanks to the efforts of the readers on this forum, I have decided to add another question for you all.

I have an ADSL wireless router which I use in conjunction with a BT land line. Can and could this router be used in a cable broadband environment. I know that you can not use a cable router in an ADSL line but not sure if the opposite is true.

Your guidance is appreciated.

setecio 17:28 18 May 2007

Well actually you can use a cable router in an adsl situation if you have an adsl ethernet modem.

But there is no way that you can use an adsl router for a cable connection. You can use it's wireless function if you have a non wireless cable router, by disabling dhcp on it and giving it a new IP, but it can't be used for routing on a cable connection. :(

Ashrich 20:22 18 May 2007

I don't think you would have to give it a new IP as by disabling DHCP it would simply act as a pass through for the IP given by the cable modem , it wouldn't give one out itself , it'll just be a simple access point , although you could still encrypt it for wireless safety ( although do this before disabling DHCP as you will lose access to it as it won't have an IP of it's own )

Ashley

Richjack 23:13 18 May 2007

Ok,

So i'll need to disable the DCHP on the ADSL router but ensure that the WPA is enabled on it first.

Is this correct.

Cheers

Ashrich 23:37 18 May 2007

Access the wireless router/modem set up pages and have a look to see if there is the option to turn DHCP off first , do this before connecting the cable Internet input , if you have that option then do the security bit , rename the router to whatever you want , DO NOT turn off the SSID after renaming it , then reboot the wireless router and plug the cable feed into a LAN port , not the WAN port , see how it goes ...can't promise that this will actually work , but it is fun trying these things !

Ashley

setecio 09:22 19 May 2007

Maybe I've confused you, as I was only mentioning an option. Since you have to buy a cable router, you would be best to buy a wireless router (without the adsl modem bit) as there is not much price difference between them and non wireless ones, and put your adsl wireless router in a drawer.

(Ashrich, I had to as my DG834PN had the same IP as my RP614, and it didn't work until I gave it a different IP)

Richjack 20:42 20 May 2007

Again many thanks to those that helped with this problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?