ADSL UK

cafe 14:27 27 Jul 2006

I am shortly moving from France to the UK. I am out of touch with Broadband provision in the UK but have, of course, been loooking at the options. I am presently using wanadoo - now Orange - France. From appearances it seems that BT is providing a good service. Although the telephone number I will be using will only get 1MG (groan) connection at the moment I do need WiFi.
Would anyone care to give me recommendations through personal experience? It would be very helpful.

Joan

FelixTCat 15:13 27 Jul 2006

cafe,

If you are looking for user reviews, have a look at the forums in click here Beware, though, that the number of postings is as likely to reflect the number of users as how good or bad the service is.

I changed from Pipex to an ISP called Madasafish in April. They are a relatiely small company but have first rate customer suppot - members of staff monitor and post on the forum.

Go to their website click here put in your phone number and put "cheaper" (without the "s) in the promotions code box.

Regards,

Felix

Strawballs 19:47 27 Jul 2006

Why can't you get hold of orange to see if you can transfer to the UK version my friend has an orange phone and was on wanadoo he now gets free broadband and he say's it is more reliable than it use to be, only go wireless if you want to of if you wish to network more than 1 machine without having to route wires around the house

cafe 21:21 27 Jul 2006

Felix - thank you, I will follow your advice and have a look.

Strawballs - I have already tried to contact Orange via email to see if a transfer is possible but cannot find a way to do it on their site as I am not a member. I suspect however that orange.fr and orange.co.uk are separate entities and don't talk to one another. I do need wifi for a second machine (I already have it here). I know that there are offers of 'free' broadband with several companies if, for example, one subscribes to a mobile phone contract. I prefer payg becuae my mobile phone useage is not great.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?