ADSL splitter faceplate

tonyq 21:14 01 Nov 2009

I am thinking of fitting a ADSL splitter faceplate for use with my BT telephone Line box (Not sure of the correct name)as I have been having trouble with my broadband. My question is are there different faceplate's for ADSL and ADSL2 connections. My Broadband is ADSL2.

Technotiger 21:57 01 Nov 2009

Do you mean the BTiPlate ? click here this will in some circumstances speed up your Broadband.

tonyq 09:15 02 Nov 2009

Technotiger,
this is what I am referring to.
click here

Technotiger 09:33 02 Nov 2009

I see, other than the BTiPlate, I have not seen any mention of different plates for ADSL1 or 2.

The plate in your link could improve your broadband, but don't bank on it - other factors also play a role, such as age of wiring internally and externally, distance from exchange etc, though I expect you already know all this.

Technotiger 09:36 02 Nov 2009

Also - before going to the trouble of fitting that plate - are you sure that simply replacing your present filters, is not all that is needed? Filters can break-down.

Though I agree, not having to use extra filters is a neater option.

tonyq 10:03 02 Nov 2009

The problem I have been having is that when the phone rings I can loose the broadband connection or/and have dramatic speed drop. Broadband works fine when plugged direct into the "Test Socket" along with the phone plugged into the filter. I have an extension which is hard wired into the BT Box which goes to the bedrooms which I think may be the problem. I thought the ADSL splitter faceplate may help along with looking neater. I have replaced the 2 filters twice making no difference to my problem.

Technotiger 13:08 02 Nov 2009

Hmm, I guess your hard-wired extension may well be the problem.

johnem 13:39 02 Nov 2009

If you check the wiring for your extension teplephone sockets, you may find that wires are connected to terminals 2,3,4 & 5. With most modern systems, there is only a need for wires in terminals 2 & 5. If you ae able to disconnect the other wires temporarily and try your broadband again. Do not cut them off as you may need to reconnect them at some point in time. Sometimes these additonal connections can act as an aerial an induce interference into the line. This should only be carried out on the wiring to your extension socket and not on the incoming BT dropper.
No promises that it will work, but it is worth a try. It made a considerable difference to my connection speed etc. As Technotiger suggests, change the micro filter, they are not very expensive and can fail without warning.
Let us know how you get on.

Poitier 14:16 02 Nov 2009

Tonyq,
When you connect to the test point does BB continue to work if you remove the phone from the hook? It did not in my case and the fault proved to be a line fault.

tonyq 15:35 02 Nov 2009

Poitier,
BB continues to work when I remove the phone from the hook.

johnem,
hear is a picture of the faceplate of the BT Box.
click here

What you are saying is that I could remove the wire that goes to the 3 terminal the orange and white one?. To do this is it a case of pulling the wire UP(vertical).

Rayle 15:39 02 Nov 2009

The best place to ask is the BT forum, some have had that problem and it has been sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?