ADSL router with VOIP socket

jz 12:36 23 Dec 2007

I've heard that you can get a ADSL router with a VOIP socket. Does that mean I can plug an ordinary phone into the VOIP socket and make VOIP calls? If not, what is it for?

CodenameCueball 13:07 23 Dec 2007

im pretty sure you can. The one i have has a standard BT socket on it for VoIP.

Dipso 13:11 23 Dec 2007

Yes basically that is what it is for, making calls over the internet via your broadband connection but it's not free and you need to set up an account with a VoIP provider to do this e.g click here

I have a Speedtouch 780WL with VoIP functionality click here but I use a CPS provider (dial an access number) which works out cheaper for me.

An alternative method is to connect something like this click here to an existing router.

jz 20:26 23 Dec 2007

Thanks CodenameCueball and Dipso.

I'm interested in VOIP since it will (hopefully) give me a second incoming telephone line with a separated telephone number from the BT one. My girlfriend and I are moving house soon, and want to have some lodgers. We will let them use the phone without charge to make outgoing 01 and 02 numbers (since we plan to get a 24 hour free calling package) but it would be handy if friends of our lodgers phone via the VOIP number, so we don't need to answer their calls.

Dipso 21:51 23 Dec 2007

Sounds ideal for what you want to do.

jz 22:48 24 Dec 2007

Thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?