ADSL Router

woodbexhill 10:58 15 Mar 2003

I know nothing about ADSL Routers, could anyone help me?

What is it..exactly?

What does it do?

How does it help?

How much does a router cost?

Any recomendations of routers?

Forum Editor 11:15 15 Mar 2003

1. It's a device that enables you to connect more than one computer to the same ADSL connection.

2. It connects to your ADSL modem, and distributes the broadband service to multiple computers.

3. It helps because many routers now have an ADSL modem built in. This means one less device for a start. All routers connect automatically to your broadband provider when they are booted, but many can be programmed to disconnect at certain times - at night, or when you are away.

4. Costs vary, but as a rough guide allow around £150 for a good router with built-in modem.

5.Recommendations? Opinions will varyu of course, but my personal choice would be the Nokia IP55 router with modem built in. It's a tad larger than most models but has everything you'll need, including a WAN port, so you can connect it directly to the ADSL socket on your wall. Nokia have also thoughtfully provided a serial port, so if the ADSL connection goes down at any point you can connect an analogue modem and share that connection. Cost - about £140

woodbexhill 11:24 15 Mar 2003

Thanks very much.

Do you know where I would be able to purchase the Nokia IP55?

At this moment I am on Freeserve Broadband, with a USB Modem. How do computers connect to the router? Does it act as a network hub as I currently have a network hub which is using the LAN ports on my PC?

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?