ADSL Phoneline Issues

rastaman25 11:05 03 Jul 2010

Hi.

Recently, I have had many problems with my internet service, which is 8MB unlimited from Nildram.

Having been running at roughly .03mbps max, after replacing our Router, this has now leveled out to about 5mbps, which is perfectly acceptable.

However, before and after the replacement of the Router, we have had fuzzyness on the phoneline, making conversations barely audible.

The system at home is set up as follows :

Master BT socket to a three way splitter then into three seperate microfilters, which in turn link to the Phone, Internet, and House Alarm system.

When the Internet is disconnected, the phone line becomes perfectly clear again, but both the ADSL microfilter and extension on this line have been replaced, along with the Router itself.

It would appear to me that somehow interference is reaching the phone line, but I've checked all microfilters, and am unable to resolve the sound issues without disconnecting the internet.

If you could advise, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you! :)

DieSse 11:50 03 Jul 2010

There should not be a microfilter on the internet line to the computer.

woodchip 12:00 03 Jul 2010

That's what they are made for, otherwise why put two types of socket in one? I do not have those problems using one

woodchip 12:01 03 Jul 2010

For the Filter it may just be a Pass through for the Router

mooly 12:22 03 Jul 2010

Have a look at,
click here

click here

What's the phone like with only one filter connected to the master socket... phone in one outlet, PC in the other.

northumbria61 12:32 03 Jul 2010

"Master BT socket to a three way splitter then into three seperate microfilters" - The Microfilter should fit directly into your BT socket then connect to the 3 way splitter.

northumbria61 12:43 03 Jul 2010

DieSse - "There should not be a microfilter on the internet line to the computer" sorry to disagree but you do need a microfilter.

woodchip 13:18 03 Jul 2010

Don't let us get this wrong. You do not need a Filter, if you do not use a phone on the line. That's why I said that the Filter may only be a pass through for the PC. If you use a Phone then you have to use a Filter at some point that the Phone is connected, But its only for the Phone, it as no effect on the PC at all

onthelimit 13:29 03 Jul 2010

rastaman said 'which in turn link to the Phone, Internet, and House Alarm system.
' So, there is a phone on the line therefore everything needs a filter. Anyway, even if there were no phone but fax machines or whatever, a filter would be required. Even if there was nothing else on the line, how do you plug a modem lead into a phone socket?

woodchip 13:35 03 Jul 2010

That's the point I am trying to make. you need one to connect the PC to, for the change in socket size

northumbria61 14:13 03 Jul 2010

On the Limit - that's exactly what I was referring to - the wording being "which in turn link to the Phone" etc. etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?