adsl newbie - choice of modem

safe as milk 13:15 29 Feb 2008

Hi all, would be grateful for some guidance. I'm about to take adsl broadband for the 1st time, having been on cable before. I've got a bt line and I realise I need a modem - or is it a modem/router? My proposed ISP (NAIMS) will sell me one, but I'm sure I can get one cheaper myself - are there any pitfalls to be avoided or can I assume that they all do the same job?

Also, my PC is not in the same room as the phone point. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get a long data cable (or is it a network cable) and run it to the PC? The alternative would be to go wireless and use an adaptor on the PC but that just seems to add another layer of things that could go wrong and further expense, unless anyone out there thinks its better.

Finally, what's this about USB or ethernet modems? How do I know which to get and why? I've got an ethernet port and spare USB port on the pc.

Is there anything else I should be alert to?

Thanks for reading this far!

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:19 29 Feb 2008

I would get a wireless router and save a lot of hassle and wires all over the shop click here

G

ex-wirecutter 13:57 29 Feb 2008

I would use the ethernet port , make sure its enabled ,and if you dont want to go wireless , just run an ordinary phone extension to your pc and plug the microfilter and router/modem into that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?