ADSL ...modem or router ?

Daibus 09:41 19 Oct 2003

I live in Spain and am thinking of going for a broadband connection.

Once installed, is there any difference between having a modem or a router ( and or, a network card )as a USB modem instalation here, can work out cheaper.
I have just the one computer but do realise that a modem can only serve one computer.

Many thanks.

WaiKent 09:46 19 Oct 2003

Well are you getting ADSL? or Cable? a router is just a networking device so you wouldn't need it unless to create a network. what do you mean by a modem? difference between 56k modem and adsl modem?

Daibus 10:07 19 Oct 2003

Waikent.

I would be getting ADSL, not cable, and I meant an ADSL modem that has a USB connection.

Would there be any difference in the speed or reliability, between the two types of instalation ?

Cheers for your help.

Cantillion 10:23 19 Oct 2003

If you get a USB ASDL modem, you'll (almost certainly) be limited to serving your internet connection to just the one PC. The more expensive route would be to buy an ethernet modem that plugs into your network connection on a seperate PCI card or your motheboard. The advantages of this method is that should you have more than one pc in the house, you can connect the ethernet modem to a router and provide all the PCs in your house with a connection to the internet. I have an ethernet modem and wireless router which means both my PCs, my modem and Pocket PC all share am internet connection without an endless trail of wires.

The connection to the Broadband servers is also "always on" as the ethernet modem essentially deals with the connection rather than the PC. I beleive a USB modem would have to negitate the connection to the servers each time the PC is booted (a delay of about ten seconds :-))

If you don't have a network, (or indeed a network connection), go for the cheaper USB route!

Daibus 10:32 19 Oct 2003

Cantillion.

Thank you for your very concise answer.

john-232317 14:50 19 Oct 2003

If you go for telefonica, they will only put a router in, i think they had a lot of probs with modems

Also now it it is gratis,,,boo hooo... cost me 160 euros a few months ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?