ADSL modem

professor 11:14 18 May 2003

awight ppl

ok went out an got an ADSL modem, its not got an actual name but its made by a manufacturer called MENTOR and its chipset is connexant. Now what i need to know is would i be right in assuming i can use my ADSL with a flatrate service but my ADSL wont be able to be used to its full ability?

the reason i ask is that i installed the driver for it (WAN driver)but it didnt show up as an actual modem it supposed "driver" only installed an adapter for its self along with a bit of software for it.

if there is any other info u lot need just say an i'll put it in but i thing thats all of it.

nice1,prof

graham√ 11:27 18 May 2003

An ADSL 'modem' is the common name, but it does not 'modulate' and 'demodulate'. It really is an interface between two digital kits, or an 'adaptor'.

jazzypop 11:33 18 May 2003

As graham√ says, an ADSL 'modem' is recognised as a network adaptor by Windows - it seems as if all is well.

Your previous thread on this topic is at click here

professor 12:02 18 May 2003

so is it a case of my ADSL "modem" actually needs my 56k v92 to dialup before it will kick into use?as from my limited knoledge of ADSL ISDN and broadband was that they could fully replace a 56k dialup.

prof

Terrahawk 12:12 18 May 2003

to use an adsl modem you will need your phone line to be adsl enabled 56k dial up and adsl are two totaly different entities if your line is not adsl enabled go to the bt website you can check wether you are in an adsl area if you are then you will need a service provider prices range from £20-£30 per month

professor 12:23 18 May 2003

i may as well go out an get a broadband modem if ADSL is gonna cost between 20-30

prof

graham√ 12:32 18 May 2003

A broadband modem will certainly do the trick.

graham√ 12:35 18 May 2003

Sorry, forgot to say, if your ADSL modem hasn't got a name, why not call it 'Ernest'?

jazzypop 12:36 18 May 2003

Stop.

Listen.

ADSL and broadband are not different things.

ADSL is just one type of broadband.

Buying an ADSL 'modem' (or any other type of broadband 'modem') will not, on its own, give you an ADSL or any other type of broadband connection.

As I pointed out in your previous thread.

I suggest that you go back and read the answers to your previous thread, then read a little more at click here

Then, feel free to post back with any further questions.

As previously stated, you can only use a broadband connection if you live in the right place. In the UK, this means living in an area served by Cable TV companies, or living close enough to a telephone exchange that BT has converted to be able to supply an ADSL service.

Once you have established that you live in an appropriate area, you choose a supplier of either Cable or ADSL broadband.

Once you have signed up for their service - that is the point at which you consider whether you need an ADSL modem or not, and if it is correctly installed.

graham√ 19:48 18 May 2003

^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?