ADSL Max, 10 day settling in period

tiscalitrev 08:58 12 Oct 2008

I understand that the 10 day period is needed to allow the line parameters to be tested to allow the fastest stable speed to be achieved.
After the initial settling in period can anyone say what would happen if the router was switched off after every internet session, ie when the computer is switched off. Does the 10 day period start again or does the exchange remember the previous settings.
Before anyone asks, I do not want to leave the router switched on.

FatboySlim71 09:11 12 Oct 2008

I can't be 100 percent but you may have your line syncing at a lower speed than you may ordinarily would if you had left your router on.

Personally I leave my router/modem on 24/7, the reason for doing this is because I used to switch mine off at the end of the day, but when I was with a previous ISP I had my line syncing at a lower speed than I normally had when I switched off at the end of the day, after a few days or so it would return to normal, but there is always a chance that you may get a stuck profile.

My advice is to leave the router on 24/7 during the 10 day period and then decide for yourself if you want to switch it off every night after that period. But personally I would leave it on 24/7 as the router/modem only uses a very small amount of power. If you were going to be away from home for a period of time I would always advise switching it off then as well as most other things in your home.

Technotiger 09:24 12 Oct 2008

Switching off and on again, is effectively re-setting the router each time. Only guessing, but probably playing heck with the exchange settings.

I leave my router on 24/7, though PC is switched off each night.

FatboySlim71 09:44 12 Oct 2008

Yeah I do exactly the same as Technotiger.

MAJ 10:09 12 Oct 2008

Turning the router off will do your line speed or router no harm. It's wasteful and a fire risk to keep the router turned on. I turn mine off if I'm not going to be using my internet connection for an hour or more.

FatboySlim71 21:01 12 Oct 2008

Some people can get away with switching their router off and their sync speed doesn't suffer, but some people can't.

Switching the router off often can be picked up by the exchange has your router losing connection and as such can result in a lower sync.

By all means switch the router off if your away for some time as well as other things in the home, there are plenty other things that are left on in the household that could be classed as a fire risk, also the router will use very little energy.

The question is:

Do you want to risk switching your router off and your line syncing at a lower rate afterwards?

Do you want to save the little energy that the router uses left switched on?

If you answered yes to both the questions then you have your answer and vice versa.

Jak_1 22:23 12 Oct 2008

There is absolutely no reason to keep swithing your modem router on and off. My livebox has been on for the last 12 months and is cool to touch. The power it uses is negligable. Likewise my pc is on 24/7 only getting switched off if I am going away for more than a weekend or when I want to refresh windows.

woodchip 22:25 12 Oct 2008

If its on MAX you need to leave it on, unless there is storms about

Daveboy 22:32 12 Oct 2008

No problem switching it off, the backgound systems will however get concerned if your router re-syncs at least 10 times in 1 hour.

woodchip 22:33 12 Oct 2008

It most likely will be a problem with MAX

tiscalitrev 08:14 13 Oct 2008

Thanks for all replies, differing views but it appears most people favour leaving router on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?