adsl help

Pau! J 19:57 20 Jul 2003

Which is the best adsl modem to buy, is an internal or external better. If internal which is better a hardware card, software based on or one with a context chipset ( i think thats what u caall it).

P.s. can i use a pentium 3 psu with an athlon xp thanks.

davidg_richmond 20:03 20 Jul 2003

I would suggest an external one, that uses Ethernet (you may have to buy an ethernet card for your PC, about £10 at the most). This is because if you decide to go wireless in future with a laptop or second PC, it is much easier to set up with ethernet than USB. I frequently get people wanting to go wireless but the USB modem they have is an obstacle requiring spending more on wireless gear or a new modem.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:12 21 Jul 2003

I have 2 external ADSL modems, a 'zoom' modem and a sagem and I cannot tell the difference. PCW are flogging an external modem (forgotten the name) for £29.99. Personally I think they are much of a muchness.

G

Somewhere95 01:21 21 Jul 2003

would always be external with RJ45 connections (NEVER USB). Preferably a D-Link ADSL modem/router. Might be few quid more, but you get built in future proofing, plus built-in protection with NAT

Djohn 02:05 21 Jul 2003

Yes to the second part of your question. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?