ADSL filters.

isititis 12:08 09 Aug 2010

Morning all,
Does an ADSL filter need to be used on a HP lappy that is wireless? The phone line, I am informed, is an ADSL one.
The lappy belongs to a friend and drops out when on the internet. The router is upstairs, while the lappy is downstairs. Both the lappy and the router have been tried at different locations within the house, but the dropout still happens randomly so it is not known when the dropout will happen. The contract is with Talk Talk and when contacted in India there wasn't much help. The lappy runs Vista. I understand that the distance between the house and the local telephone exchange can influence the issue, but I am not sure of this. Please advise.
Thank you in advance of any help that can be forwarded.

rdave13 12:45 09 Aug 2010

No need for a filter on the wireless laptop as it's wireless. The dropouts could occur if something is interfering on the frequency that the router is sending out. Try changing the broadcasting channel on your router.

isititis 13:08 09 Aug 2010

rdave13. Thanks for your response. I will contact the OP and let you know the outcome.

onthelimit 14:55 09 Aug 2010

Are there any other telephone devices in the house? If so, every one needs its own microfilter.

isititis 15:25 09 Aug 2010

Thank you for your help, but I'm a little confused now. I mean, would the need for microfilters apply to a wireless lappy? If so, then that is conflicting with rdave13 above. I have to go out now, will be back about 5 this evening.

rdave13 15:39 09 Aug 2010

The laptop is wireless so not connected to a telephone socket. What onthelimit is asking is have all your telephone sockets got filters on them and including any Sky connection?

Batch 09:03 10 Aug 2010

The router that the lappie connects wirelessly to must be connected to the telephone line and that router will need to be connected to the telephone socket via a microfilter with all telephones connected to telephone socket(s) using microfilters as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?