ADSL back to Dial-up.....Help me ease that pain???

AdventCalendar 22:38 01 May 2003

Ive been on ADSL in the UK for a while, but i have recently moved to France and have had to go back on the old dial up connection. (im in a non ADSL area).

I have gone with "Tiscali", who came with good recommendations.

Problem is that the connection is unbearably slow.....and i dont just mean slow as in i am used to Broadband...this thing is unbelievable.

Its takes about 1-3 minutes to turn between all pages, and downloads take an eternity. Ive got a decent Laptop with a Pent 4 chip, 28 gig of hard drive left. 512ram, and at 1.8ghz it isnt old hat.

I really dont know what i can do to help it?

any ideas?????????? PLEASE???

Andrew

explicitlyrics100 22:45 01 May 2003

They really have major internet problems - even worse than the UK!!!! Nothing you can do really other than trying a few different providers, besides its always going to be hard to cope without adsl so sorry i cant help ease the pain :p just search around. Chris

fitshase 23:04 01 May 2003

Have you tried using an ad-blocker so at least you are not downloading the banner ads, etc., which are full of pictures?

Regards

Fitshase

peskywabbit 23:05 01 May 2003

I don't know how you'll manage....solution to your problem.....MOVE BACK TO THE UK!!!! or suffer the eternal problem of mega slow downloading........

Yours sympathetically...

Pesky ;-p

AdventCalendar 10:14 02 May 2003

anyone else????? :(

jeez 03:59 05 May 2003

Talk to your telephone company to see if there's anythink they can do with the line. (gain, old noisy cable, etc)

Ellie3009 11:26 05 May 2003

Try using Wanadoo as your ISP?
I lived in Lyon last year and never had a problem with speed using them, in fact I think it was faster than the UK!

Can you get cable in your area?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017