BY BY Ads

stebinnersley 18:00 31 Aug 2003

I keep getting bombarded with pop up ads from a company called by by ads, trying to sell their software that will stop their ads!!!! I think it is disgusting the way in which these people try to cajole people into buying there programs. I have Norton Firewall but the pop ups are getting through, any ideas how to stop this?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:04 31 Aug 2003

More than likely it is Xp's Messenger Service giving you these pop-ups, follow these steps to disable it:

Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel.

Click Administrative Tools.
Click Services.

Double click Services.

Scroll down and highlight "Messenger".

Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.

Click the STOP button.

Select Disable in the Startup Type scroll bar.
Apply and click OK.

G

stebinnersley 18:07 31 Aug 2003

will give it a try

powerless 18:56 31 Aug 2003
  Peverelli 22:46 31 Aug 2003

The Google toolbar has now got a pop-up stopper. Don't know how effective it is (yet) but it's here: click here

daba 23:05 31 Aug 2003

I'd been told the Google Toolbar contained ad software itself (tracking) ???

Peverelli 23:14 31 Aug 2003

Maybe, but the occasional dose of AdAware etc. will sort that out.

Peverelli 23:15 31 Aug 2003

Thinking about it, Google does a bit of tracking every time you use it, so using their toolbar isn't going to make much difference.

jospar 23:46 31 Aug 2003

I've been using google's tool bar for several days now, and I've had no pop-ups. except the ruddy things from messager service so and so would like to add me to there address book.

But I'm going to follow gandalf instructions so that be sorted.

Oh, the thing about the tracking on googles task bar, is aparently something to do with providing a better search, it clicks what pages get visited, but doesn't say that you've jo bloggs has been there, just clicks a hit.

I'm not really worried about being track around the net as such, nothing to hide, but pop ups and such like really get my goat.

jazzypop 23:51 31 Aug 2003

The Google toolbar does a fine job of blocking popups.

As is clearly explained on their site, you can use the Google search bar in two different 'modes' - with and without PageRank enabled. With it enabled, the term(s) that you search for are returned to Google, and added to the popularity rating for that page. This is one of the features that makes Google far more likely to list the most appropriate page at the top of the list than it's rivals.

You have the option to download the toolbar without PageRank enabled.

Either way, no personally attributable information is sent or stored. The ads are clearly separated from the search results - if you click on an ad, that fact is recorded (for billing purposes to the advertiser), but again, no personal information is involved.

It is all clearly explained at click here

powerless 23:51 31 Aug 2003

click here

Messenger service popups are different to web based pop ups.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?