Adobe Updater

johndrew 15:37 27 Jul 2007

Each time I use Adobe Reader 8 (came with PCA some months ago) it opens Adobe Updater. If I then go online the updater.exe runs taking up the whole (or 99%) of my CPU.

Is there any way of preventing it running or removing it but still leaving the reader facility?

Thanks in anticipation.

Stuartli 16:08 27 Jul 2007

From Help, click on Check for Updates.

Once this has run, you will have the opportunity to alter the Preferences for updates checks.

Configure to your requirements.

johndrew 16:49 27 Jul 2007

That doesn`t work either. All that happens is that I get a window opening saying `Updater is Updating`, the CPU goes to 100% but there is no progress shown in the window.

If I try to end the task either using Task Manager or clicking on `Cancel` the whole thing hangs and I am forced to do a manual reboot as the PC will not restart using the Start panel.

I think either the installation is broken (I have tried the `Repair Adobe Reader Installation` but it hasn`t made any difference) or there is something else I have missed. Maybe I need to go back to an earlier version.

Technotiger 16:51 27 Jul 2007

I had the same thing a little while ago, I wondered why everything was slowing down - I looked at Processes and found that Adobe wotsit was taking up 99% of CPU, so I deleted it from processes - no problems since.

johndrew 16:59 27 Jul 2007

How do I delete it from my processes also? It may well resolve all my woes!!

Technotiger 17:03 27 Jul 2007

I simply right-clicked on it in Processes and chose Delete - it took several attempts. Then I re-started my pc and it was gone, thank goodness.

Quiet Life 17:09 27 Jul 2007

See this link click here
I changed to PDF. Xchange as Adobe was becoming a pain. The program had gradually grown to 120mb as against the 10mb of PDF- Xchange which is very good and certainly deserves more recognition.

Stuartli 17:25 27 Jul 2007

Well it worked for me...:-)

I have Adobe Reader 8 on my system just in case it's required - FoxitReader is the Default and you can also add the PDF Editor. FoxitReader is about 1.2MB and is freeware. See:

click here

Technotiger 17:29 27 Jul 2007

Yes, I have Adobe Reader 8 as well, plus I have and prefer PDF Converter Professional.

johndrew 20:11 27 Jul 2007

I also have PDF.Xchange, but there are times when Adobe is preferable to me.

I shall run Adobe Update and see if I can get the delete option to work.

chocolate cake 20:23 27 Jul 2007

I had this problem. I managed to download the update to adobe 8.1 by logging onto their website and downloading from there. The download went smoothly from theron.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone