Adobe Reader Update Problem

si67 17:31 10 Apr 2008

Hi

trying to update Adobe Reader 8.1.0 to latest version 8.1.2.

Using built in Update feature install starts and after 1 minute I receive message stating 'Error 1402 Could not open key. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS

Verify that you have sufficient access to that key:Access is denied.'

The install then rolls back.

I then tried uninstalling Adobe Reader via Control Panel and the exact same message is displayed.

I then tried installing the latest version over the existing version and the same message shows again.

Using Regedit I navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run\OptionalComponents and as soon as I try to access the OptionalComponents key I'm told Access Is Denied. I'm the Administrator on this PC. Tried to access it in Safe Mode too, but was still denied access.

Can anyone assist me in updating Adobe Reader to version 8.1.2?

Thanks

Si67

si67 17:35 10 Apr 2008

Sorry should have said I'm using Vista Home Premium with all MS Updates installed.

Technotiger 17:36 10 Apr 2008

Hi, I would advise you to ditch Adobe and use this alternative instead ... click here

Technotiger 17:38 10 Apr 2008

In confirmation re Vista, as per my first comment ... click here

VoG II 17:40 10 Apr 2008

May be worth trying click here

si67 17:48 10 Apr 2008

Hi VoG your link looks interesting. I'll try that and post back.

Technotiger I will be trying Adobe alternatives once I can actually get rid of Adobe.

Thanks both of you.

Si67

Technotiger 17:54 10 Apr 2008

This is a great program to have in your armoury click here This will un-install just about anything. It has worked wonders for me on several occasions.

lulubelle 19:11 10 Apr 2008

Hi Technotiger,
I have just downloaded and installed Revo Uninstaller, can you tell me if it is safe to use the Junk files cleaner? It has listed 134 files that are junk and I just wondered if you would reccommend using the cleaner.

Technotiger 20:06 10 Apr 2008

In a word - Yes!

lulubelle 18:47 11 Apr 2008

Thanks for your help, Technotiger

Technotiger 18:53 11 Apr 2008

You're welcome, I am happy to have been able to help.

With apologies to si67, for this temp hi-jack of your thread!

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?