Adobe Reader 8 and 9 and saving PDF's

mooly 08:10 18 May 2009

I have Adobe reader 7 that was preinstalled on PC. It's version 7.10 Ages ago I tried Adobe 8 and that did not appear to allow online PDF's to be saved to HDD. If I remember the option had a red "no entry" symbol through it. Adobe 7 that I have installed does allow that.
Before you all shout use Foxit, can anyone confirm that Adobe 8 or 9 either does or does not allow saving of PDF's from web pages etc. Perhaps it was some option I overlooked at the time.

BT 08:25 18 May 2009

I download and save PDFs with Adobe Reader 9 without any problem.

^wave^ 08:34 18 May 2009

try foxit reader much smaller footprint

DieSse 09:43 18 May 2009

I've used all Adobe versions for many years, and always been able to save PDFs.

mooly 10:14 18 May 2009

Thanks, might try the later version again then.

mooly 11:58 18 May 2009

OK Two questions. Installed version 9 OK.
Find it leaves a "shared" folder shortcut on the desktop for "Adobe Reader 9 Installer". Deleting this will delete the folder as well (122mb) in size. Is it needed for anything ?

Second minor thing. It does save online pdf's OK but the default location is to the desktop. Can browse to documents and select and save OK but this setting isn't retained. Nextime defaults to desktop again.

sniffey 15:21 08 Sep 2009

I have the same problem as mooly had back in may. In older versions of adobe I could save files no problems, but with the later versions I can´t do this can anyone explain how thiese files can be saved as I can´t download the files. Thanks in advance sniffey

mooly 17:57 08 Sep 2009

Hi... No answers I'm afraid. It certainly didn't work for me with version 8, and I tried that a couple of times, however version 9 was OK. Since then have done a clean Vista install and again installed reader9 with no problems with regard to saving PDF's.
I can't remember whether I uninstalled V7 before installing V9... think I did.

DieSse 18:01 08 Sep 2009

Saving shouldn't be a problem - simply File - Save file as

Or

Click the floppy disk symbol one in from the left on the reader toolbar (next to printer icon).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?