Adobe Reader 7 and 9

Yimbo 17:46 10 Sep 2008

I can't access AR 7 on my computer - I get the message "The patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists or contact application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package" Ignoring this, I downloaded AR 9 - but on trying to install, the message appears: "Error 1714. The older version of AR 9 could not be removed. Contact your technical support group" - which for me, is you good folk! So, any ideas?

jimv7 18:00 10 Sep 2008

Bin adobe, download foxit from click here its a much smaller footprint and works well.

eedcam 18:30 10 Sep 2008

Ditto or this
click here

Yimbo 19:36 10 Sep 2008

Thanks folks - I've just downloaded Foxit - it looks good! However, binning Adobe Reader is proving a problem. Using "Change or Remove Programs" I get the 1st of the 2 messages I quoted above. How can I "bin" AR?

Cymro. 14:33 11 Sep 2008

I have had exactly the same problem. I first tried to remove Adobe by using the free Unlocker program but it would not completely remove Adobe.

So I trawled the Adobe forum and was told to use Windows Install Clean Up. I was able to get this free on Google. It worked and I was then able to install Adobe9.

It was all a bit of a hassle to find the right info. on the Adobe forum but the Windows Install Clean Up was quite easy to find, download and use from Google.

Yimbo 16:52 11 Sep 2008

Thanks Cymro - - I'll give what you say a try - and let you know how I get on! You've done the hard bit!!

bretsky 17:25 11 Sep 2008

Hve you tried this? click here

brestky ;0)

Cymro. 17:44 11 Sep 2008

Windows Install Clean Up is on Google for free I think you would have to pay for it from an official Microsoft site. Google have a lot of instructions to go with it but it is in fact quite easy to use just be careful you don`t delete anything you don`t want to as I don`t know if you could get them back.

Yimbo 15:04 12 Sep 2008

Thanks - I downloaded Revo and applied it - but I got the same message as the first one in my original posting (above). On clicking "next" I was given a very long list of Registry entries for (I think!) potential deletion. I'm afraid these were all pretty much like goobledegook to me -and I was unsure about proceding further - so I chickened out and cancelled!!

Yimbo 15:17 12 Sep 2008

"Windows Install Clean up" on Google. Can you give me the address for this. All I can find is the official Microsoft site. Also, is the "Windows UNinstall Cleam Up[" the same - or a different program?? Sorry to pester like this!

bretsky 16:40 12 Sep 2008

This link should take you to the Windows Install Clean up download, scroll till you get to the "more information" heading and the download link is in blue, click on that and a download box will appear, save to desktop then run from there.

click here

Also have a look at this click here

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?