ADOBE READER

User-171A840C-7AB2-4CFA-90D646F58C1D6884 08:34 10 Feb 2005

What is the difference between Adobe Acrobat Reader & Adobe Reader which one should you use.

€dstowe 08:48 10 Feb 2005

Adobe Reader is the updated version of Acrobat Reader.

For marketing reasons (probably) they have stopped using Acrobat in the name, reserving it for their PDF file creating software.

Adobe Reader is the one you want.

stlucia 08:48 10 Feb 2005

Use for what? I think what you've described are the same thing, and both can read .pdf files but not create them.

If you want to create .pdf files you need Adobe Acrobat (not "Reader"), which costs money. There are some freebies which do the same thing, but I don't know their names.

Brian-336451 09:15 10 Feb 2005

PDF files have more or less become the de facto standard for things like Software Manuals, Government literature, academic papers and the like.

Adobe have promoted this system (in my view, excellent) to allow people on all types of computers and all sorts of operating systems to look at the document concerned the way the creator (with a small 'c' notice!!) wanted.

To CREATE a PDF file you used to have had the program Acrobat (Distiller) on your system - that's the bit that costs big bucks. These days quite a few software applications allow you to Print To PDF format as they're presumably licensed by Adobe.

If you read a lot of documents on-line, AcroReader is essential and freely available online or on CDs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?