Adobe Photoshop Elements 4

pj123 15:09 18 Jan 2006

Can anyone who has Elements 4 tell me if it can convert raw files from a Nikon D70 camera?

Have a friend with the D70 but is not willing to buy Elements 4 until he knows whether it can convert Nikon raw files. He has contacted Adobe but they say they do not have facilities in place to answer specific questions.

He has also done a Google but none of the specifications mention Nikon. Only says "converts raw files" but very non specific.

He already has Photoshop 7 and Elements 2 but neither of these will convert raw files.

Thanks.

jakimo 21:03 18 Jan 2006

Elements 4 has a raw converter,which automaticaly calculates and applies what it thinks are the correct settings for exposure etc. Nikon should also provide a converter

jakimo 21:07 18 Jan 2006

p.s.

my imformation is from my elements 4 manual

pj123 11:50 19 Jan 2006

I'm not exactly sure why but he doesn't want to use or go down the Nikon converter route.

He says he doesn't want to pay £40 to £60 for Elements 4 only to find it doesn't convert Nikon .raw files.

He is still trying to find a definitive "yes" or "no" answer, but thanks for your info jakimo. I will pass it on to him.

vinnyT 14:36 19 Jan 2006

Could he not dl the free trial version from click here (near the bottom.

At 364.4MB, it's a bit of large file.

pj123 15:30 19 Jan 2006

Good link vinnyT, but it is a Means Test to get registered.

Don't like Means Tests, and anyway why should we be required to enter that info for a "free trial"?

vinnyT 15:02 20 Jan 2006

Sorry, didn't follow the link on, you're, it is an odd procedure, considering it is only a trial of the software.

pj123 15:50 13 Feb 2006

Ticking this as resolved. My friend has now decided not to use the .raw facility on his camera for the present time.

Thanks all.

vinnyT 09:34 14 Feb 2006

Welcome

fazer 13:44 14 Feb 2006

pj123

Have re-opened your thread to say that I had a similar issue with Canon RAW files.

I may be wrong but will be surprised if Elements can process these files - only because Adobe Photoshop couldn't even until the latest version CS2 was introduced.

If getting this suite is not an option, then I thouroughly recommend "RAWEssential" - a free download.Sorry, can't remember the Company but I remember finding it easily through a search engine.Its very easy to use.

May I also be so bold to advise your friend that if he has the capability to shoot and process in RAW then he must do so! The end results are so much more predictable compared to a JPEG because in effect, you have the ability to control every parameter from exposure to colour temperature for example (within reason anyway!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone