adobe flash plugin crashes in Firefox

Markito 18:31 01 Aug 2014

Suddenly I am experiencing problems of the flash plugin crashing in Firefox, my default browser. I am running Windows 8.1, and Firefox 31.0 (which I have reset to default as advised by Mozilla to try to cure the problem....unsucessfully.) I have Adobe Acrobat PDF plug-in 11.0.7.79, although this does not currently enabled Firefox Add-ons. What DOES show in Add-ons is Shockwave 14.0.0.145 though not Adobe Flash Player itself.

I should add that the Flash Player works correctly in Explorer, but I prefer Firefox as my browser.

Does anyone have any ideas? I thought of possibly installing and reinstalling some kind of Flash player but I'm not sure which - Shockwave or Adobe Flash - or if this is the right thing to do.

Thanks in advance.

Markito 18:33 01 Aug 2014

amendment to 3rd line. ...this is not currently enabled in Firefox Add-ons.

rdave13 21:24 01 Aug 2014

You should have Shockwave flash 14.0.0145 as a plug in. Seen this problem before and it could be a corruption of your Firefox browser, nothing to do with Shockwave/flash. This link shows how to back-up your profile, create a new one to try first. Keep your profile saved. If creating a new profile doesn't work then a complete uninstall of Firefox and re-install should work. recovering profile. also reset feature.

If that fails then uninstall firefox should work with removing user data and settings. Reboot after completing.

Markito 10:53 22 Aug 2014

Sorry for the delay in reply due to holiday.

Thank you for your reply. Re-installing Firefox worked, though I have now decided to change to Google Chrome since it seems quicker and generally less prone to problems.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?