Adobe CS4 and refreshing display

herc182 22:55 13 Mar 2009

Dear all,

I have recently purchased Adobe CS4 but the screen (when making changes) does not refresh instantaneously. I have clicked on the option to refresh the document when open but it still doesnt do it...I have to click outside the pic to refresh.

It also seems sluggish.

I wonder if its my graphics card (ATI HD 3650) but its new if not the best.

Any ideas?

using vista 32 bit.

herc182 08:00 14 Mar 2009

Also, the plugins dont seem to work? I have nik color efex 3, and when I apply a filter it shows in the history state, but it hasnt applied the change.

whats the matter with Adobe CS4?!

herc182 09:30 14 Mar 2009

Any ideas?

thanks

eedcam 09:42 14 Mar 2009

Yes try adobes own users forum click here

hssutton 10:06 14 Mar 2009

To answer your last question first, there's nothing wrong with CS4,I've been using it for the past 4-5 months without problem

Have you got your scratch disks set up?

I've no idea regarding your graphics card, but can you enable "Open GL" if not your cards is not up to it.

As for the Nik plugins, vist their website, as there's a problem with color efex 3 and CS4 click here
Then click on FAQs

Are the specs of you computer up to scratch? Check here for system requirements click here

herc182 10:11 14 Mar 2009

thanks...i have a thread open on the adobe forum already. Was hoping someone here might have had some idea too.

hssutton:

Scratch disk is set up

open GL is checked (adobe recognises the graphics card)

I already read through the FAQs and they didnt help unfortunately. The plugins are visible, and I can load them, but when I click ok to apply the plug in effect, it doesnt show on the photo. However, it shows up on the history states as though it has been applied which is weird...

Specs on laptop are fine. I have 2.5ghz processor (core duo) and 4 gb ram with 640 gb hard drive.

thanks again...any other ideas?

hssutton 10:24 14 Mar 2009

The fact that you only have the one hard drive could be your problem. click here

I intially had problems until I deselected "C" as a scratch disk. Fortunately I have four hard drives on my system so use two of those.

I can't really help with your nic plugins as I don't use them.

herc182 10:30 14 Mar 2009

h,mmm... it seems that if i go to "settings" in the nik software and apply the changes to the "Current layer" it works ok. However, if i want to apply the changes to a new layer then it doesnt work. The layer never appears.

herc182 10:48 14 Mar 2009

sorry...I was not clear.

I have 2 320gb hard drives. I have used the scratch drive as the HDD that CS4 is NOT installed on.

hssutton 10:59 14 Mar 2009

Obviously then hard disks are not the problem. I was previously running CS4 on a similar spec machine without problem, but was running into slowdown problems when processing 180-200Mb files. With my updated PC 4core with 4Gb ram all is ok.

I have just downloaded the trial version of color efex 3, but will not have time to try it out untill this evening. Will check back this evening to see if you have it sorted

herc182 11:46 14 Mar 2009

thanks very much for your help. That is very kind of you.

I will check back later.

Thanks again hssutton

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone