Adobe Acrobat/Internet Explorer Conflict

Dannyb 17:10 23 Aug 2004

I have the latest versions of both on my pc and use Windows 2000. If ever I have to open a page in Acrobat, when I close Acrobat I receive the error message that Internet Explorer has to close down and do I want to send the error report. I never send the error report but why do I have to keep re-starting IE?
Thanks for any help.

VoG II 21:26 23 Aug 2004

Get the latest version of Adobe Reader (not Acrobat anymore). Uninstall the old version first. click here

If that doesn't work, repair IE click here

Dannyb 12:29 24 Aug 2004

I have the latest version of Adobe Reader, but, when I go to a webpage that has a pdf file to view I get a message that reads "could not find adobe reader" or words to that effect. I then have to open Reader seperately then return to the page I wanted to see and click on refresh to view it. It then causes an error which closes IE when I exit Reader. Is there a setting I need to deal with for Adobe to open automatically when I click on a pdf file?

iambeavis 12:57 24 Aug 2004

Open the Reader go to edit/preferences/internet and ensure that all the boxes on that page are ticked.

iambeavis 12:59 24 Aug 2004

on the same page make sure that your connection speed is set correctly.

Dannyb 14:36 24 Aug 2004

Thanks iambeavis, I have now checked that and after, when I tried to open a pdf file, a blank window appears with a box inside which was headed "Acrobat plug-in" and the words, "Could not find Adobe Acrobat" I just closed that window to come back to the forum and, lo and behold, IE was shut down again with the usual error message.

iambeavis 14:45 24 Aug 2004

Check for the internet access plugin - go to help/about adobe plug-ins/internet access plug-in.

iambeavis 15:40 24 Aug 2004

Just a thought but have you tried the detect and repair facility in Adobe. Go to help/detect and repair.

Dannyb 15:43 24 Aug 2004

Yes, tried that as well, but thanks anyway.

iambeavis 15:49 24 Aug 2004

Have you tried VoG™'s suggestion. If some files are corrupt then a total uninstall/reinstall of Adobe might be the only way. Rather than a repair of I.E. you could download and use one of the following.
click here
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?