Adobe Acrobat Reader...please help

Fay2 13:42 08 Feb 2007

Since I downloaded the Google Pack everytime I try to open a PDF doc. the blooming thing freezes.

The google pack did not download the acrobat reader upgrade properly. I have since tried to download the upgrade to Acrobat Reader 8 on it's own but it still will not download. Keep getting the message....Error 1714 The older version of Adobe Reader 8 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

Will someone please be my technical support and tell me what to do.

Thankyou
Fay

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:45 08 Feb 2007

try uninstalling Google Pack fron Add /Remove programs in Control Panel.

Technotiger 13:53 08 Feb 2007

Hi, download and run Windows Installer Cleanup Utility if you have no luck with Add/Remove.

click here

then download and install Adobe Reader 8 ...

click here

Fay2 13:53 08 Feb 2007

I've uninstalled Ad-aware and google earth which came in the bundle but it's hard to find just what was installed when they are all separate

Fay2 14:02 08 Feb 2007

Technotiger....I'm a little bit reluctant to run the 'cleaner' as I'm not sure just what I want to clean at the moment...is there no other way?

Technotiger 14:07 08 Feb 2007

Well I do know that another person with exactly the same problem, cured it the way I advised above.

Technotiger 14:10 08 Feb 2007

PS in the 'cleaner' dialogue just choose anything to do with Adobe and or Acrobat. The 'cleaner' will only remove items appertaining to the programs you choose.

Fay2 14:13 08 Feb 2007

sorry just seized again while I was trying it out. Okey dokey will give it a go. I was thinking of taken all Google and adobe off and starting again but I'll try the cleaner first

Thanks very much
Fay

Technotiger 14:13 08 Feb 2007

If you are still reluctant - perhaps a System Restore back to a date before you installed Google Pack - assuming you are using XP.

Fay2 14:15 08 Feb 2007

Now that's a better idea....I have done that but I'll go further back.

Thanks

Fay2 23:24 08 Feb 2007

Went back a month in the end and it's still no better, in fact it's worse. Had to re install my new printer....language English.....turned out German. It seems continuous. I'm going to end the thread and clean the whole lot down, a bit of a nuisance having to put everything back on but I think it's the only way......and no more downloading upgrades for me, if I can help it.

Thankyou for your help
Fay

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?