Adobe Acrobat 5.0.05 vs Adobe Reader 6.0

Bumpyknuckles 15:13 04 Sep 2003

Recently I decided to upgrade my version of Reader from 5.0 to 6.0, which I did for free from the Adobe website. I have uninstalled the previous version of Reader.

Now when I try to download pdfs, i get the message "cannot find acrobat reader", whereas pre upgrade my old version of Reader used to open automatically.

The added complication is that I also have Acrobat 5.0, which I bought a while ago for creating pdfs etc (but which also contains Reader 5.0 I think).

Are the separate copies of Acrobat and Reader now conflicting and is there anything I can do to read pdfs wth the new version, apart from paying for an upgrade of Acrobat?

Thanks

hugh-265156 15:20 04 Sep 2003

i upgraded to 6.0 no problems.have you tried right clicking the pdf and selecting open with.then select acrobat 6 from your list or browse.

BarryKeith 15:46 04 Sep 2003

You should have left the old version and just installed over it, then delete the redundant shortcuts. Works every time!

Wes Tam ;-) 15:52 04 Sep 2003

Bumpyknuckles I had the same problem until I put a shortcut to AR6.0 in the taskbar and now it automatically opens OK.

Wak 16:49 04 Sep 2003

Hi Bumpyknuckles, I also had problems with an older program which had pdf Help files and which was looking for the Acroread.exe file as used in Acrobat Reader 4.0. Consequently, it wouldn't work with Acrobat 5.0

Acrobat Reader 5.0 uses the file AcroRD32.exe so I copied this file into a spare folder, renamed it "Acroread.exe" and then copied it back into Acrobat 5.0 so that I now have both the AcroRD32.exe and the Acroread.exe files in the same Acrobat program.
All pdf programs now work with the Acrobat Reader 5.0.
Maybe you do something similar with version 6.0?

mikef. 18:55 04 Sep 2003

I had the same problem and it didn't matter whether I over installed or not, so I went back to my previous version and am quite happy to stay with that, the old if it ain't broke don't fix it rule?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?