Adobe 5 & office 2003

ianeon 18:54 20 May 2004

Good morning - Is it possible to get "Adobe 5" to work with "Office 2003" ?
Thank you for your time - Ian

Diodorus Siculus 19:22 20 May 2004

Adobe what? Acrobat?

Seems to be a problem:

Warning!!! Danger if using Office 2003 Windows XP!!!
I love Acrobat. It won't work with Office 2003 (xp home on computer). Get a "unable to print to pdf" error upon installation. Check the Adobe homepage, it's a problem they're aware of (their recommended "fix" was to turn OFF "system restore" (which deletes ALL previous restore points!) and to edit the system path variable (also "icky" if no system restore to help out)

Don't do it........don't buy it....I tried the upgrade to 6.0.1 as well.........didn't work......wait for the fix in the next version....Acrobat is good...they'll fix it.....just have to be patient :-)

click here

Pesala 19:25 20 May 2004

"Adobe 5" ? Do you mean Adobe Acrobat Reader? Adobe Reader 6 is newer and better. Adobe plugins are available to read PDF files in browsers. Do you want to open PDF files in Word perhaps?

ianeon 19:33 20 May 2004

My apologies for not explaining myself correctly - I should have said Adobe Acrobat 5 and Microsoft Office 2003 - Thank you for your advice - Ian

anchor 19:56 20 May 2004

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0.1, Office 2003, and Win-XP Pro. I have no problems at all in reading or printing pdf documents. I have not, nor ever, turned off System restore.

If, on the other hand, you mean the full Adobe Acrobat standard or professional programme, then of course its a different matter. I have no experience of this.

jz 20:07 20 May 2004

Yes, but you have to download a V5.05 patch from the Adobe website. Without this it does not put the Adobe tool bar and menu in Office Xp or higher.

ianeon 20:46 20 May 2004

jz - I think you have what I am looking for - I have updated my Acrobat to 5.05 - Can you explain how I integrate Acrobat with Office 2003 - Thank you - Ian

jz 17:20 21 May 2004

Hi ianeon,

I have Office XP which is the version previous to yours, and I found that after running the patch, the integration was done for me. I'm not sure what you can do if you don't get the menus in Office 2003.

Taran 17:33 21 May 2004

If you mean the full Acrobat product that includes the PDF writer and not just the reader, you need to get the updrage from the Adobe site to get things working correctly.

Acrobat 5x throws up erros in Office 2003 due to a template incompatability - Acrobat 6 or the 5x patch will cure the error messages you get when loading Excel, Word and PowerPoint by updating the macro driven templates.

If you are referring to the full Adobe product the you need to right click on your Office application toolbar and select the Acrobat tolbar to activate it. Click on any of the icons to convert the open file into an Acrobat PDF document.

There should also be a drop down menu on your top toolbar in Word, Excel and PowerPoint which has a few options to convert to PDF when you click on it.

If you only have the Acrobat Reader then more or less all it does is allow you to read, annotate and print PDF files. You have to have the full Acrobat product to be able to create PDF files, or an alternative third party program to allow you to do it.

Try getting the product update from the Adobe site when prompted to do so.

ianeon 10:55 23 May 2004

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction - I now discover that I don't have "pdfmaker.dot" or "pdfmaker.xla" in my computer - they were removed to solve another problem - back to the drawing board - thank you for your help - Ian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017