administrators password - a Workaround maybe?

jack 12:57 03 Jul 2009

The Machinr an elderly Evesham with XP home upgraded to XP Pro SP2
The owner report to me that it was misbehaving in various ways ,some of which I have been able to resolve.
One Windows failure keeps presenting-a warning words something like - Windows failed to synchronize......
Tried - Run -SFC scannow- and a quick flash on screen -then back to desktop - no action

It was then I put in a Windows disk and tried for F2 repair function.
Got the dos window asking for which Windows - pressed 1- Then asked for Administrators pass word.
Here is that stumble
The owner knew of no such word - never been asked for it- does not use passwords in anything else - except for internet.
So I tried his name as in the 'about' Window no joy, and various other guesses failed.

So I wondered would this password have been accorded to the machine/system by the builder
If so what could it be?
- Evesham are no longer with us to ask.
Is there a workaround?

BRYNIT 13:12 03 Jul 2009

Have you tried leaving the password blank.

Re: sfc /scannow have you typed it correctly click here

bremner 13:14 03 Jul 2009

Have you tried just hitting return i.e. no password.

Otherwise if you google you will find many tools out there that can remove passwords. I don't know how the FE will feel if we start telling how to do this on the forum.

norman47 13:17 03 Jul 2009

If it boots to windows. Go to control panel > users and make the user an administrator and make it password protected.

Try that.

kalignorgna 14:07 03 Jul 2009

on win xp there is a standard administrator account user name administrator and the password at default is always set admin in my experience, as for removal of passwords i use Hirens Boot CD but you would have to check with the owner before using it.

jack 14:09 03 Jul 2009

The SFC got the space,i appeared to be missing the forward slash- will try again.
Will try the control panel trick, later today

VoG II 15:43 03 Jul 2009

Another thing to try click here

gazzaho 16:14 03 Jul 2009

I've read some BIOS manufacturers have a catch all backdoor password for this very reason. I've just googled it and found a couple of sites which list some, you could try that. The motherboard manual should also tell you how to bypass the password or reset it using a jumper or dip switch.

jack 20:15 03 Jul 2009

Thanx VoG- not into buying stuff for this operation
especially as he one of those that sits over my shoulder chatting and suggests things-you know!
So that concentration is lost and a key press opportunity zips by - again.
He wont even go make a cuppa
Grrrr.
Going to try a few other things
Essentially all I want to do is to run Xp repair.
When the XP disc is run you get two opportunities
1st asks for the repair Floppy.
Havrnt got one so let it run on and you get repair
press F2- this is when the DOS screen comes up and wants the administrators.
So hopefully the floppy way wont ask for that- So I am going to try to make one.
here is hoping

VoG II 20:23 03 Jul 2009

You need to scroll down a bit - it gives the fix; you don't have to buy anything.

Rigga 20:43 03 Jul 2009

Try > click here < which has downloads which enable you to reset the admin password.

I used Petter Nordahl-Hagen's password reset boot disk (just over half way down) on a friends machine and it worked a charm.

HTH. R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?