Administrator password Windows Vista

Lella 12:48 06 Dec 2007

Hi
I have recently bought a laptop and networked it wireless with my Desktop PC.
My Desktop is windows XP and my Laptop runs Windows Vista.
My Firts question is: will I have any problems with networking with my laptop and desktop that are using two diffrent programmes XP and Vista.

My Second Question is: when I started the laptop for the first time it asked me for an administrator password which I typed in, double checked and typed in a second time.
When my daughter was logged on under her user name and wanted to install a programme she could not as she needed the administartor password which I then typed in, but my Admin password was not accepted.despite trying on numerous occasion my admin password would not get accepted.

Is the reason my admin password is not getting accepted, because of the networking of my laptop and Desktop using two diffrent programmes, XP and Vista, or because I can only change any installation etc once I log in as an administrator on the administrators user account, or can one install etc on any user account as long as providing the administrator password.

How can I reset the admin password or find it or use the Laptop without the administrator password.

Last question, when my daughter has wanted to install a programme, besides been asked for the admin password a message keeps on appearing that the antivirus is not working.
I have Avast antivirus installed on the desktop PC and the laptop came with a 60 day norton antivirus which I have installed, could this be causing a problem, do I only need the one antivirus on the main desktop PC whilst networking or do both PC need an antivirus to protect each pc?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?