administrator password forgotten

terendak_uk 14:00 20 May 2004

Got a user who's just changed his administrator password in Win2000.....and he's promptly forgotten it. Is there a way to reset it/create a new one? I know he'd be extremely grateful.

MichelleC 14:07 20 May 2004

If this tool doesn't do it there's a long way round click here

mezzanine 14:13 20 May 2004

do a search on google for erd commander, works for xp and i've heard it also works for 2k.

terendak_uk 15:17 20 May 2004

am checking these out now

terendak_uk 22:40 20 May 2004

passed on info.thanks.
But...I am very surprised that Windows itself doesn't have a solution.....every action must have a reaction????

hospeng 22:29 22 Jun 2004

I have a problem with Xp admin password.
I've inadvertentl deleted a registry file and the easiest way to restore is with the Xp CD I have but when I get to the bit where you have a choice of re-install or repair I choose repair but then it asks for the Admin password. I never enered on in, as far as I know, and if I had it would have one of very few words that I use. Without this I can't proceed without re-installing and losing some new files and pictures not backed up to CD yet.
Can anyone out there help?
Would be eternally grateful,
Martin

PSF 22:52 22 Jun 2004

It is best to start a separate thread and so it will be noticed.

With the Administrator password just press enter if you have not put one in and that will get you in.

terendak_uk 21:51 24 Dec 2004

and am absolved.........they reformatted without telling me. Still, mea culpa ;-)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?