Forgot My Administrator Password!
Can't Log On to Windows XP?
If that?s your only problem, then you probably have nothing to worry about. As long as you have your Windows XP CD, you can get back into your system using a simple but effective method made possible by a little known access hole in Windows XP.
This method is easy enough for newbies to follow ? it doesn?t require using the Recovery Console or any complicated commands. And it?s free - I mention that because you can pay two hundred dollars for an emergency download of Winternals ERD with Locksmith which is a utility for unlocking lost Windows passwords. See here click here
ERD is an excellent multi purpose product, but you should know it is not a necessary one if you have a healthy system and your sole problem is the inability to logon to Windows due to a forgotten password. Not necessary because you can easily change or wipe out your Administrator password for free during a Windows XP Repair. Here?s how with a step-by-step description of the initial Repair process included for newbie?s.
1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it?s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable ? as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)
2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be ?Press any key to boot from cd?
3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.
4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now
5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.
6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.
It should read something like ?If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it?
Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.
7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.
8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically ? you will see a progress bar stating ?Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds?
9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of ?pressing any key? to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.