Administrator and My Username

kentylad 08:52 09 Dec 2003

Currently Running: Windows XP Pro with SP1

I have noticed that when I log off, my username and the administrator are two separate users. Although I (seem) to have administrative rights, is it possible to get rid of the administrator user, or rather my username, by transferring settings across accounts?

Regards

Nick

johnnyrocker 09:03 09 Dec 2003

go into control panel/user accounts and modify from there i would suggest.

johnny.

kentylad 09:13 09 Dec 2003

Thats the weird thing; It only displays my account (Computer Administrator) and the Guest account.

However when I log off, it clearly displays my account as separate to the Admin account

Nick

Terrahawk 09:19 09 Dec 2003

i think you will find the admin account is by default it is required when doing operating system repairs and such like. you then create your own admin account for routine functions installing progs etc then create user accounts which can be restricted to stop third parties interfering with the setup

Jester2K II 09:19 09 Dec 2003

You can't (and wouldn't want to) get rid of the Administrator account. Its not the same as your Computer Administrator Account. The "real" administrator account is more powerful than your Computer Administrator Account and its needed in the event that something catastrophic happens.

Its normally only listed on the log in screen in Safe Mode. Not sure why it appears on yours..

alcudia 12:53 09 Dec 2003

As far as I know the only way to get the option to login as administrator on a normal startup is to ctrl-alt-del twice. If it's appearing without doing this something is wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?