"Administration has stopped working"

WightRob 22:02 12 Feb 2008

I have just tried installing some software on my laptop running Vista. I have installed the same software from the same disks on 2 separtate desktops running XP Home and XP Pro with no problems.

On the laptop I get a MS Windows error message stating: "Administration has stopped working"
"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

That's it!

Anyone have any ideas?

skidzy 22:08 12 Feb 2008

Whats the software ?
Have you checked its Vista compatible ?

WightRob 22:15 12 Feb 2008

The software is a CAD packag. I have a mate who has successfully loaded this onto a Vista laptop so I am assuming that it is compatible.

skidzy 22:24 12 Feb 2008

Dosnt sound to good via Google click here

If the software installs ok,try running it in compatibility mode click here

WightRob 22:51 12 Feb 2008

Hmm, interesting.
Thanks for that.
As the software does not install, I'm not sure that Compatibility Mode will help though. In any case, I seem to remember Compatibility mode in XP not being a lot of cop.

I have just tried setting up THE administrator account as in XP. i.e. access it via Safe Mode. According to some threads, this works the same in Vista but I only get the option of my one account.

Does anyone know if Vista has an overall admin account?

skidzy 19:14 13 Feb 2008

Vista has a hideen super user account,this may help click here

skidzy 19:14 13 Feb 2008

Hidden !

WightRob 06:50 14 Feb 2008

Thanks for the info skidzy. I checked it out but could not get it to work. The password setting line seems to be correct but there seems to be an error in the activate command. I checked another forum that I use and got the command 'Net user administrator /active:yes' This works OK.

mrwoowoo 06:54 14 Feb 2008

Go to control panel>user accounts and turn user account control off and then install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017