Adjusting page brightness in Microsoft Word

firegamp 18:24 31 Jul 2009

I must be getting old! The brightness of the "paper" on which I "type" in Word 2002 is starting to strain my eyes much more than it used to. Can someone please tell me how to adjust page brightness, contrast, colour etc, so that I can work for longer without my sight getting stressed? My system is XP Pro with SP3. firegamp

peter99co 19:33 31 Jul 2009

On the open word document I clicked format and chose background (light blue) in the dropdown. I think I would want to return to white though if I went for a print

hastelloy 20:49 31 Jul 2009

Start, Control Panel, Display, Appearance,Advanced. Under Item select Window, then select your colour from the drop-down. This will be retained as your setting each time you boot up but will not print.

golfpro 07:41 01 Aug 2009

I have heard people say that white print on a black background works quite well. I haven't tried it maybe I will.

BT 08:26 01 Aug 2009

White on Black has always been considered the most 'user friendly' combination for projected images and I suppose it still applies in the computer age. The old word processors mostly used white on blue as a default, but despite it still being a predominant preference in lots of web pages etc. it has been proven that a predominance of blue is not actually good for your eyes.

I too find the brightness of white pages is a bit excessive at times. It would be nice to be able to change overall default white in Outlook Express to a less bright option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?