Adhoc wireless versus me buying a router.

Spencer. 23:37 27 Dec 2006

I have a desktop on XP homesp2 with a d-link wireless card in it. I am connected to the internet through adsl using a wired usb speedtouch modem.

I have a laptop running xpMCE2005 I have managed to connect them wirelessly using windows networking and set up an adhoc network.

How do I get them to share resources and more importantly get the laptop using the internet? I have tried following guidelines on Microsoft website but to no success.

Please help an idiot do networking.

Forum Editor 23:53 27 Dec 2006

They're not outrageously expensive, and you'll be able to access the internet on one machine whilst the other one is turned off.

Spencer. 23:55 27 Dec 2006

I am considering it though the desktop is usually always on anyway. If I can't get this to work adding another device is going to be fun :(

Strawballs 01:55 28 Dec 2006
  Strawballs 01:57 28 Dec 2006

Adding a Router (cable) or modem/router(phone line) is easier than setting up an ad hoc network

Spencer. 09:10 28 Dec 2006

I have been through that one strawballs with no success but thankyou.

grabster 13:06 28 Dec 2006

Looks like you are in exactly the same position as myself spencer,see here click here
im all for buying a router now but the options are aplenty and i dont know which option to go for.

grabster.

Strawballs 21:49 28 Dec 2006

Before anybody can advise on the router we need to know what type of internet connection you have

grabster 21:56 28 Dec 2006

i use a usb modem to connect to my dialup bb service from eclipse .

Strawballs 22:04 28 Dec 2006

click here
for ADSL (phone line)

click here
For DSL (cable)

Spencer. 22:34 28 Dec 2006

click here

Could I have opinions on this please? My internet is adsl.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?