Address books

heidelberg 12:26 09 Jun 2008

I am becoming increasingly confused with regard to the Windows Address Book, the Outlook Address Book and the contacts list in Outlook.I am not quite sure what each on is and what each does.

Can any kind soul suggest where I might be able to find out this information as simply as possible.

Ideally I would like to use just one for everything.

Sea Urchin 16:26 09 Jun 2008

I would have thought they are all the same thing. Windows Address Book is the generic term

click here

and you have a list of contacts which are in your address book. Address Book and Contacts are one and the same.

heidelberg 16:56 09 Jun 2008

Unfortunately I'm not sure that they are all the thing, though I'm probably wrong on that.
Sea Urchin many thanks for your response - it is much appreciated

When I look in my Windows Address Book it is empty. In Outlook my Contacts Folder is a sub-folder of the Outlook Address Book, and it contains my "address book" - ie the one I have created.

When I set up the address of a new email and click in the "To..." field and type the first letter or two, I am offered a selection of possible recipients, some of which may be in my Contacts folder, but often they are not! Where do they come from?!

It gets more confusing by the minute!

Thanks again

Dave

VoG II 17:10 09 Jun 2008

AutoComplete is a feature which displays suggestions for names and e-mail addresses as you begin to type them. These suggestions are possible matches from a list of names and e-mail addresses that you have typed before, known as the AutoComplete name list.

Sea Urchin 17:12 09 Jun 2008

Certainly seems more confusing than I thought. I'm sure somebody here will be able to advise you (and me!) of the difference.

Woolwell 23:37 09 Jun 2008

I may have this wrong but here goes! In XP the Windows Address Book is the list of addresses used by Outlook Express and has a file extension of wab. Outlook cannot use a wab file but can import from it. The Outlook address book is often the same as the contacts list and is a pst file. To confuse things you can also have Personal Address Book which is a pab file.

This may help: click here

Woolwell 23:38 09 Jun 2008

PS I use Outlook contacts for everything.

heidelberg 10:55 10 Jun 2008

Thanks to all who responded - I think that things are a little clearer now.

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?