Address Book transfer

BernardG 10:17 19 Oct 2009

I have a similar problem to Shirakee but the csv option doesn't work.

I copied all my files from the existing 2 HDs to a external hard drive.

When starting OE from these records, OE starts from the the current C drive & therefore shows only one new address.

Your help please

jack 10:51 19 Oct 2009

and save as text files
Most other E clients will accept a text file.

BernardG 11:09 19 Oct 2009

Jack

How do I see the files?

When I look on the external HD, all I see are several .dll files & the following application files: oemig50, setup50, wab & wabmig.

Is it one of these? & if so what do I need to run it?

BernardG 11:42 19 Oct 2009

I started to do that & when I chose the folder, it couldn't find a .wab file.

Earlier when I tried the csv option, I noted that the wab file was an exe -although it doesn't quote it at the explorer stage)

jack 12:11 19 Oct 2009

That is not through a program
Right click and select properties
In the 'Opens with panel- will ist an application then a 'CHANGE OPTION'
Start with Word Pad, then if that does not work try others.
If you get lucky - use save as to save that as a version so as not to lose the original

BernardG 12:50 19 Oct 2009

I have tried to access the wab file & it takes me immediately to OE & shows an updated address book that is already stored on the C drive.

I have tried to examine the dll files that contain significant values of data using Wordpad & Notepad but the result is *#*#/* and totally unreadable

BernardG 13:23 19 Oct 2009

The wab file has no extension visible but when I attempted to bring it in via csb - it quotes an exe extension.

I have the files in 2 places on my external drive & I can see the .dll files etc within OE in both places

BernardG 13:26 19 Oct 2009

I have been manually updating mu address book within the C drive & I find that this is also updating the record on the external hard drive - so any attempt to obtain 'old data' is now lost?

BernardG 14:25 19 Oct 2009

The Search just gave the 'new' address book - I will look at the other option once I have got my printer to give me a hard copy.

I am getting resigned to having to manually recreate all my addresses.

I do have a copy of a lot of emails both in the inboxes & outboxes recorded as .DBX files. I can probably get the majority of the email addresses from them.

But how do I import .DBX files into Outlook express?

BernardG 14:27 19 Oct 2009

Ignore previous message - there is also another address book file on the external hard drive !

BernardG 14:27 19 Oct 2009

Ignore previous message - there is also another address book file on the external hard drive !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires