Add/Remove Programs list problem

Sethhaniel 10:39 25 Jan 2005

Win xp sp2
- when I open add/remove programs it builds list
of programs installed lists maybe 'a - d' but then theres a gap of 12 inches to scroll down before you get 'e to x' - if you arrange them in size or date or whatever - you still get the same gap in list - any way to correct this ;)

ACOLYTE 11:03 25 Jan 2005

I have had this in the past i dont know why it happens and i didnt try to fix as add/remove still worked but i will watch this for a way solve it.

Sethhaniel 11:06 25 Jan 2005

with no luck-
have to keep my eyes on the forum ;)

rawprawn 11:18 25 Jan 2005

click here This sounds like a similar problem, but there is a "black" part instead of just a gap. It might be worth trawling thru.Hope this helps.

ACOLYTE 11:27 25 Jan 2005

The part about the error occurs where the program installed is hopeful maybe uninstall the program at the start of the gap,may work don't know.

Sethhaniel 11:48 25 Jan 2005

Gap is not after one particular program - as in the different sort orders it is in same position in list - not after a certain program

rawprawn
have got a copy from your link and see if that software is on my system

Let you know ;)

Sethhaniel 13:14 25 Jan 2005

Yep that seems to be the one - I have copied the registry tweak & downloaded the fix and will give it a bash tonight -
let you know in the morning ;)

Sethhaniel 08:13 26 Jan 2005

non-of those reg downloads did the job - both said when ran that white space was removed - but it wasn't ----

But then I found the culprit in registry key hkey_classes_root\.hta under that key was a folder with the dubious name 'PersistentHandler' with default data {eec97550-47a9-11cf-b952-00aa0051fe20} I exported that folder and then deleted it from registry and problem solved - back to add/remove as it should be ;)

---thanks all - tick coming up :)

Sethhaniel 14:32 26 Jan 2005

Looks like PersistentHandler is a common windows folder - but in registry fix there is no mention of folder under .hta - so after exporting it - didn't even have to reboot - just started add/remove and could see the difference straight away - but will hang on before deleting affending item.

Sethhaniel 08:55 27 Jan 2005

and no ill effects elsewhere ........ ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)