Add/Remove problems

john bunyan 18:14 31 Jan 2009

Xp Pro. Recent additions: .Net Framework 3.5 update. Re installed Photoshop CS4 after false trojan in AVG on 26th. Another item also removed: "C:\System Volume Information\_restore{CF5485CB-76BA-494C-A2CA-E29D1FBA41CC}\RP225\A0081173.exe";"Trojan horse Crypt.CFR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
Now, when I go to Control panel / Add Remove programmes. I do not get the option to Add / Remove except on the newly installed CS4. Roxio Creator 2009 woll not launch - just a Roxio splash . Also Enentviewer repots problems with Roxio Cineplayer. All was ok quite recently. Restore point did not help. Is there a SCANNOW or some such?

john bunyan 18:17 31 Jan 2009

NB Ran Superantispyware and AVG 8 (daily) - no probs.

john bunyan 19:06 31 Jan 2009

Any views? - All the various MS updates etc are there , as are the programmes, but very few offer the option to "Change / Remove" when you highlight them. I was considering (Yet another) Clean re install of Roxio Creator 2009, it seems very prone to bugs.Is there a quick way of curing this as most things are running well and a clean reinstall would be a pain (updates etc, and I have the MCE edition of XP Pro)

john bunyan 22:26 31 Jan 2009

Tried run: scannow. Did not work . What is the right syntax for XP Pro?

MAJ 22:29 31 Jan 2009

"What is the right syntax for XP Pro"

Start > Run, type:

SFC /SCANNOW

click OK.

Quiet Life 22:40 31 Jan 2009

ccleaner click here is a good registry cleaner and also under tools has a remove programs facility.

john bunyan 14:08 01 Feb 2009

MAJ. When I try to run SFC /SCANNOW, there is a glimpse of a black square about 4 inches by 3 but it dissapears in a flash. What happens next - does this process take a long time?

brundle 14:11 01 Feb 2009

Open a command prompt first, then type SFC /scannow there. That way you'll see the error message.

or type

cmd SFC /scannow /k

at Start > Run, to force the window opened by the command to remain open.

tullie 14:12 01 Feb 2009

Did you leave a space between C an the /?

brundle 14:12 01 Feb 2009

Sorry, ignore the last two lines, wrong format..

brundle 14:13 01 Feb 2009

Open a command prompt first, then type SFC /scannow there. That way you'll see the error message.

or type

cmd SFC /scannow /k

at Start > Run, to force the window opened by the command to remain open.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?