additional router on home network

roger1812 20:02 01 Jul 2007

Hi,

Can someone help please....

I have a home network set up with my main pc connected to my netgear DG834G wireless router via ethernet, then my kids pc's are connected to this via wireless. the issue I have is that my sons pc is to far away form the router to get a decent connection.

I was wondering how would I connect another wireless router? I was going to connect it using a ethernet cable into my existing router, so that the new router can be fitted in his room and then he will be close to the router to get a good wireless connection to my home network.

I was told I would have to disable dhcp in the 2nd router , but are there any other issues? both routers would be DG834g's

cheers

Rog

mgmcc 20:24 01 Jul 2007

If you are going to run a length of ethernet cable to your son's room anyway, why would he connect "wirelessly" instead of with the ethernet cable?

Should you really want to install a second router then, provided your son doesn't need to be in the same Subnet (IP address range) as you for File & Printer sharing with your PC, you should install a "Cable/DSL" router, i.e. one that *DOESN'T* have an ADSL modem built in. You then connect its WAN port to one of your router's LAN ports. The second router will get its WAN IP address in the 192.168.0.x Subnet from your router and it, in turn, needs to allocate an address in a different Subnet (such as 192.168.1.x) to your son's PC.

ambra4 20:48 01 Jul 2007

Just buy a wireless repeater

click here

roger1812 20:49 01 Jul 2007

thanks for your advice, I will try what you suggesst.

the reason I was thinking of doing it wirelessly is its easy to run a cable to a wireless router in the room below but not so straight forward to his room.

thanks again

roger1812 20:52 01 Jul 2007

thanks, never thought of that, didnt know they existed.. . thanks for the link

ambra4 11:21 02 Jul 2007

Look at this one make very good equipment

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?