Additional Memory for Samsung GT8000

p.r.b 14:59 10 Jan 2011

Hi,
I have recently accquired an old Samsung GT 8000 laptop with 128Mb of memory but there is space to add more. It seems a straightforward enough job and my question is what could I use that would be compatible with this machine, I've looked on the Samsung site but can't find any reference to this machine let alone extras for it.
Cheers
Paul

The Kestrel 15:10 10 Jan 2011

Assuming you can get onto the Internet with your laptop, use the Crucial memory scanner from click here. It will scan the laptop and then tell you what memory is compatible and the maximum you can fit.

MAT ALAN 15:18 10 Jan 2011

click here

might help...

p.r.b 15:03 11 Jan 2011

thanks for your replies, at the moment I am unable to connect the laptop to the internet but will run the Crucial Memory Scanner when I can.
As far as I can make out the part number on the installed card is Samsung 537 K4S281632F-UC75 ~ I have googled this but do not understand computer jargon enough to translate the information I get into the type of card I need.
I don't supose this can be taken any further but I will not clear it until I have run the memory scanner.
It seems that the card I think I need ( 128 or 256 MB Samsung SDRAM PC100 100 MHz 144 Pin Memory SODIMM: Laptop Memory ) is available on Ebay (ebay item 290519165258 )so one last question, if I buy and fit a card like this and it proves to be the wrong type ~ would it cause any damage to the computer or existing card ?

Cheers
Paul

GaT7 15:33 11 Jan 2011

Do you know the exact sub-model of the laptop? E.g. this is RAM needed for a sub-model of the GT8000 series (a GT 8600XT) click here - as you can see 256Mb is maximum, so logically with 2 slots that'll be 128Mb per slot. Although, MAT ALAN's link suggests differently.

I don't think you can fit the wrong type as the notche(s) on other spec modules will be in a different position. However, if it doesn't work you won't know whether it's a compatibility problem or the RAM you purchased is faulty. G

p.r.b 15:56 11 Jan 2011

Hi Crossbow
sadly no, all I know is that it is manufactured by RM. It was sold to me as an RM (Samsung) GT 8000 series, the installed memory module has a Samsung reference and the laptop System Information simply gives the model as series GT 8000. I was able to download the manual for this model but it does not specify sub models or how they can be identified.
I suppose this is quite a common problem when you buy a cheaper ( old ) laptop !!
Regards
Paul

GaT7 16:04 11 Jan 2011

As you said, once you're able to use it to connect to the Internet, run the Crucial scanner. It's fairly accurate, but there's no guarantee unless you purchase the RAM from the same link.

And if you live in the UK, you can buy a PC100 144-pin SODIMM module from eBay UK to possibly get it for a lower price & sooner. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?