Additional Language - How to install???

lulu100 13:53 01 Jul 2003

I wanted to install a second language (Chinese) on my PC so that I can view Chinese websites. The PC asked me to insert the WINXP Service Pack 1 CD. I tried to insert the WINXP set up CD but it does not work. I also tried to download the WINXP Service Pack (SP1a) from the Microsoft website but it still asks for the WINXP Service Pack 1 CD. Where can I get this CD (do I have to buy another CD) or can I download it free from somewhere.

Your help please. Thank you.

Roland Butter 16:45 01 Jul 2003

Have you tried pointing to the downloaded (& expanded) file rather than than the CD?

lulu100 22:19 02 Jul 2003

Thanks for your suggestion but I could not find the Service Pack SP2 I installed. I can only see them in the 'Add/Delete Program' panel appeared as Hotfix PS2.... I think basically they just reconfigurated some settings in my system rather than downloading additional files to my computer. The files I needed to install the language is cplexe.exe and I performed a search for all files but could not find it. Any more help/suggestions please?

Thanks

Qmar 23:11 02 Jul 2003

please give an example of a website you are trying to view.

Qmar 23:14 02 Jul 2003

is this any use..
click here

I have Win98.. I had the impression that XP was a 'Whizz' at sorting out such capabilities..?

woodchip 23:24 02 Jul 2003
  lulu100 20:45 04 Jul 2003

Thanks for your suggestion, Qmar. The web page I am trying to open is hk.yahoo.com. In my old PC (Window 98) I can view the page with traditional Chinese. But with Win XP it asked me to insert a WinXP Service Pack 1 CD to install the language pack. I have contacted Carrera's (manufacturer of PC)technical support. They told me that I have to buy a separate CD from them as this is a special release for Carrera computers. I just wonder whether this is true and if I can find alternative free source.

Any more advice please?

Qmar 01:10 05 Jul 2003

..I'm still thinking.. might be worth emailing Pesala? (see tab next to name.)

Qmar 01:18 05 Jul 2003

read here..click here

Qmar 01:27 05 Jul 2003

(something wierd happened to the link? in my browser anyway.)

Danoh 01:35 05 Jul 2003

I went onto Microsoft UK's web site a while back and submitted a request for a CD-ROM which duly arrived. But I can't remember the exact web site address.

There is an online link; click here;EN-US;322389

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?