Additional Hard Drive

123Adman 17:05 13 Jan 2006

Hello

I've just purchased a new 80 gig Seagate Hard Drive for my Dell PC. It already has the same make and capacity drive fitted as standard. Although fairly confident that I can open up the tower and plug a few leads in - are there any other things I should know or be aware of? My system is running Windows XP Pro. When I make the relevant connections will the system launch a wizard that will assign a drive letter etc? Do I have to set any jumpers so that the new disc is a 'slave'?

Totally-braindead 17:24 13 Jan 2006

You can set it as slave or perhaps cable select if the other drive is set the same, slave is the norm. In order to use it you will need to format it either using XPs own formatting or via Seagates software which you can download click here the second one for adding a second drive.

RobbyMac 17:31 13 Jan 2006

You may have to enable the drive in the bios! If it isn't found then enter the bios at boot up

jack 17:47 13 Jan 2006

All the above advice is valid.
But open up the case and carefully check around things and come back before delving in.
Dell machines are unique in many ways unlike 'regular' machines and upgrading extra bits can be a little bit fraught.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?